
I dragged my feet and an enormous bag behind me, inhaling as little of the freezing air as possible. I walked outside the airport. The heat from my body was absorbed by the layer of frozen wind above it. I stopped behind my mom as she turned her purse upside down to look for her cigarettes. I sighed a cloud of warm air as I sat on top of the unsteady bag. I focused my eyes on the burning end of the cigarette, how it slowly fell as if the air was so dense it could catch it. Then I noticed how many people were walking past me and how fast they were moving. Maybe it was everyone's hurry to get some place with heating, maybe it was me. But for a split second I can swear I saw time literally rush by me. I unfocused my eyes from the cigarette and everything looked normal. I had put myself in the bubble of time, secure from the routine of depending on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment